WDYS #152 – A Life Of 14 Days

Pointy needles and monitoring probes

Covered your fragile body

The white walls and the ceiling

The constant beeps of the probes

Was the only world you ever knew

You fought with all your might

A fight even I can’t withstand for sure

All of us prayed out long and hard

For you to see the real world

The one beyond those white walls

Where colors roam around joyfully

But I’m pretty sure

You are more at peace now

And looking over at the colors

No living human eye can see

In a place way beyond this world

Where needles and probes

Just simply don’t exist

P.S. This is dedicated to my little nephew Ahyan, who took his last breath on June 20th 2021.
Born prematurely in his 35th week as my little sister’s first son on the night of June 7th 2021, he spent every single moment of his 14 day life inside the NICU of the local hospital. He received round the clock treatment from the best doctors we could arrange and he fought strongly as well but his immune system was way too weak to respond effectively.
On 20th June 2021, his pulse rate dropped significantly and his body swelling increased. He was transferred on the life support machine the week before but that didn’t helped much. The painful decision was made finally by our whole family as we just couldn’t watch him suffer more.
Miraculously, he breathed on his own, after being removed from the life support machine, which gave us a new hope. He kept on receiving the treatment for the rest of the day. But in the evening, he took his last breath in the very same NICU of the hospital, which was his home for the 14 days life he spent in this world.

This is a repost of an old post of mine for Sadje’s What do you see # 152.

Image credit; Kelly Sikkema @ Unsplash

18 thoughts on “WDYS #152 – A Life Of 14 Days

1. paeansunplugged September 26, 2022 / 8:49 AM

So heartbreaking, Hammad. They say time is a great healer. We can do nothing but surrender to his will. 🙏🏼

• Hammad Rais September 27, 2022 / 12:33 AM

I couldn’t agree more. Thank you for reading this.

2. VJ September 23, 2022 / 5:57 AM

Such a painful event. You really capture the anguish.

• Hammad Rais September 23, 2022 / 8:02 PM

It was painful indeed and looking at him in such condition from the glass window at NICU wasn’t easy.
      But he is at peace now, which is comforting for us.

3. Tranature - quiet moments in nature September 21, 2022 / 8:35 PM

I remember this from last year Hammad, so very sad and as you say in your beautiful poem, he will be more at peace where he is now.

• Hammad Rais September 22, 2022 / 8:39 AM

You’re right, Xenia. I shared this last year, when the ordeal was as fresh as yesterday. But time moved on and so did my family as we all agreed that Ahyan is now at peace finally.
      Sadje’s prompt for this week sort of re-itched those emotions once again.
      Thank you for reading this again.

4. sgeoil September 21, 2022 / 6:20 PM

Your poem touches my heart. I am so sorry for your loss.

• Hammad Rais September 21, 2022 / 7:42 PM

Thank you, Heather. It is more than a year now but I do wonder about him often.

5. Sadje September 21, 2022 / 11:29 AM

It’s heartbreaking account. Not only the mother but whole of the family is involved in the care and management but at the end it’s the will of Allah SWT! I’m sure that he is in heavenly gardens, waiting for the rest of his family. Thanks Hammad for sharing this story and joining in.

• Hammad Rais September 21, 2022 / 7:47 PM

Thank you, Sadje. Those 14 days were really heavy for my whole family as we prayed heavily for a miracle. But as you said, the will of ALLAH TA’ALA is the one only HE knows best.

• Sadje September 21, 2022 / 8:58 PM

I can well imagine. As a believer, one thing that we must do is to surrender to the with of Almighty.